A good 17th century ‘Lely’ pattern frame, refinished in the 19th century
The sitter in this good 50 x 40 inch Lely work is Judith Monson (1623-1700). She was the daughter of Sir Thomas Pelham (2nd Bt) of Laughton in Sussex and his wife Mary (nee Wilbraham). She married in 1647 John Monson (1628-1674), who served as Member of Parliament for Lincoln in two periods between 1660 and 1674. He was one of the sons of Sir John Monson Bt. In 1661 she became Lady Monson, when her husband was created a Knight of the Bath in recognition of his work as a commissioner and a J.P. in Lincolnshire and subsequently Hertfordshire.